Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Russian Language

I love Russian and I am so thankful for every word I can speak in Russian. Sadly, my Russian does not help at all in Honduras, as a matter of fact, it kind of gets in my way. I can be told how to say something in Spanish and then two minutes later, I attempt to say it and it comes out as a Russian word. It makes it more confusing for the people that are talking to me and that I am trying to talk to. It is a little hilarious! The whole team is laughing at me and telling me to stop - I really am not doing it on purpose - it turns out that I have two language files in my brain the one I don't have to think to process (aka English) and the miss matched, ill labeled, hard to process file - where my two years of Russian seem to have come to the forefront, but the 4 years of French and the random words and phrases from other languages are all jumbled together. Earlier, I was talking with a young Honduran man from the Bible Institute and I managed to speak in English, Russian, French, and Spanish - all in the same sentence - none of which really help either of us understand - pity that!

Some of the team members are struggling with with wildlife here in Honduras, bugs mostly. Nick is sure there is a conspiracy and thinks that the queen wasp called the CIA about him. Deanna pointed out that we tolerate flies, but other equally harmless insects make us scream and run. It turns out, Nick thinks the flies work for the wasp CIA, because he is afraid of them now too!

Shushan

No comments:

Post a Comment