Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Blog for Mi Madre(For my mom!!)

So..I have not blogged at all, so at the request of my mother-here it goes.

This is our end of our third full day here at escuela El Sembrador; it is 9:57pm here making 11:57 in the states(well in some of the states). It has been very interesting and very entertaining here. From the 3 hour turned into four hour car ride to the Russian/English/Spanish/French language barriers, this has made for some amazingly awesome stories.

I would like to say that my first "culture shock" was after we left the airport, got on the bus and the missionary host told us we would be going down the road to the local mall and we would eat at Wendy's. I do not know why that was such a shock for me, but it was. I have loved watching everyone try and speak Spanish and vica-versa. Shushan is the most entertaining(like has been said many times). With all of heart she wants to speak Spanish, but at the same time, she thinks everyone should speak Russian, even the Hondurans! lol. My favorite part about this language barrier is that we seem to think that if we speak slower, but louder, they will understand our English; however, some think that if they speak louder and slower in Spanish, we will understand-none of this is true. Actually, we have found out that some of the students speak english but they let us suffer through our speeches before telling us they know exactly what we are saying. I can't blame them for doing it, I would do the same thing.

Honduras is beautiful! I love it a lot! I love the people here. They are very kind and friendly and I love to worship with them-it is an amazing experience for two cultures to join together with one meaning. Tuesday as I was reading my devotions I came upon this scripture: Psalm 19:1-3 says, "The Heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. THERE IS NO SPEECH OR LANGUAGE where their voice is not heard."
That is just a beautiful reminder that it doesn't matter where you are or what culture you are from or what language you speak; God's beauty is in everything and there is no language barrier.

Steph

3 comments:

  1. Thankyou my daughter!!!! Now I know you are there, because you are on the Blog!!!! I'm guessing when this trip is over, you will be entertaining friends and families for hours! Can't wait till you are home, but am also so glad you are right where God wants you for now.
    Adios for now, or for Shushan Aloha! LOve ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh yeah, because I am still new at this blogging stuff, have I missed the section where pictures should be posted, Or do you have any yet?

    ReplyDelete