Thursday, May 20, 2010

Not for the weak of stomach

Ok, so Shushan said it wasn't too bad of a story... others begged to differ. So I figured I'd warn you in the title. If you do not think you have a weak stomach, then by all means, keep reading.

So another "adventure" happened today. :-) When we were starting to clean up for lunch, Angel and Deanna pointed out a large frog that was near the water spicket. It had something large and pink protruding out of its mouth. Somewhat disturbed, I caught the frog and looked closer at it. At first I thought it was trying to swallow something... but I soon decided that the pink thing was actually something that was supposed to be inside the poor frog, and was unfortunately now on the outside. So I went around the corner to where Nick was painting, and showed it to him. He was also somewhat disturbed, and we figured somebody had stepped on the unfortunate amphibian. We also decided that the pink protrusion was a lung, as it was filled with air. We decided to try to help the critter. I held the frog's mouth open while Nick tried several times to shove the lung back in with a stick... we soon realized that a stick could easily do more harm than good, so scrapped that idea. I then held the frog in one hand, and used one finger to gently push the lung back down inside the frog. It swallowed a few times, blinked, and then just closed its eyes and sat very still. Nick said, "I think you killed it!" I nudged the frog a bit, and it soon opened its eyes, blinked, and tried to get away. It was breathing fine again, and when I put it down, it hopped away.

So Nick and I have now had our first experience of impromptu surgery on the mission field. And it was an apparent success! I just hope there are no serious side effects. We didn't even have anesthesia on hand for the patient... doctoring on the mission field sure is rough.

Other than that, the day is pretty much normal... as normal as a Honduran day can get, I suppose. :-) It's hot and sunny again today, with no sign of rain yet. A few of us may be cleaning the church this afternoon... there's going to be a live video feed of Honduran students singing in the church to some people at a conference in the US. We were invited to be a part of it, and I find that exciting.

I pray you are all having a blessed day, and we love you!

Sarah

P.S. Happy birthday, brother of mine!!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for the Mission Field Surgeons!
    Loved the story. You seem to have a fetish for Honduran froggies. I wish you could send some of that Honduran sunshine. Cold and wet here. :)
    Love you much! ~ 0--=-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh....you 2 are just 2 funny! :) Poor little thing...I do hope it survives! HAHAHA!!!! Sarah I am sure you are enjoying all the reptiles...you seem to take after your ole' mom! Good for you :)!! Sounds like all of you are continuing to have an awesome time down there. It was 37 degrees up here in God's country this morning and there is fresh snow on the mountains...gotta love it! So...all I can say is enjoy the heat (I honestly do not envy you)! You remain in our thoughts and prayers all day long. Have a fun day in Jesus! MOM

    ReplyDelete